Take On Mars (TKOM) is a new title for the Take On series, developed by Bohemia Interactive. The player controls a rover or lander to explore Mars. The Mars vehicle can be equipped with scientific instruments by the player to study the Martian surface and complete objectives. There are 3 locations to explore on Mars accessed through the mission control map: Victoria, Kaiser and Gale craters. Each location is 4 by 4 km having an area of 16 km2 (9.94 mi2) to be explored; filled with various exploration targets.
- Space Program: Explore Mars from the perspective of a science-driven Space Agency. Develop new technologies, vehicles and instruments to tackle the tasks ahead.
- Scenarios: Head straight to the surface of Mars and complete individual missions centered around various Science Missions and objectives.
- Editor: Create scenarios with complex missions, or just play around with whatever you wish in this limitless, free-form mode.
- Dynamic destruction system: Break off cameras, robotic arms, even individual struts and wheels, all affecting the way the vehicle handles.
- Economy: Send missions to Mars with the budget you have available, raised by completing mission and individual tasks.
- Realistic Terrain: Explore the surface of Mars in locations based on actual satellite data from locations such as Victoria Crater.
The recently released Mars Mod-Maker's Manual video series aims to help the community in making mods for Take On Mars. These videos are being released in chapters, covering varying aspects of modding for Take On Mars, starting with the data structure within the game.