- Arma 3
- Returns the velocity (speed vector) of the vehicle as an array with format [x, y, z]. Vector is in model space.
velocityModelSpace _chopper; comment "Returns [X (left(-) right(+)), Y (backward(-) forward(+)), Z (down(-) up(+))]";
- Posted on December 11, 2014 - 02:55 (UTC)
- Pierre MGI
- This function is useful for helicopters as it returns Z vector like an indicator of thrust/load ratio. More or less climb (+) or descent (-) tendency but: As X,Y,Z vectors are relative to vehicle attitude, this function doesn't return a climb or descend rate (as the attitude of the vehicle can be far from horizontal). You can get negative Z vector, in jets, while climbing fast, peeling off in the sky! More or less, you can use as a Z accelerometer factor but invert the sign: +G acceleration (negative vector below the jet) is -Z here. If not "physically" correct, the behavior is sufficient enough for Arma flight model.
- Posted on June 21, 2015 - 02:36 (UTC)
- Previous note is physically incorrect. Velocity can not be used to give information about Thrust/Load ratio or G-Forces/acceleration. To get acceleration you have to create the derivative of velocity after time dv/dt -> the difference of velocity between 2 timesteps divided by the time that passed between the 2 steps.